Volume 03 sees Typograph.Journal expanding its community conversation to profile more of the exemplary work of industry, building upon the manifesto of passionate practice and continued learning established with Volumes 01 and 02.
Key sections in this latest volume explore:
- Visual metrics
- The common optical illusions at play in typography
- Modular approaches to type construction
- Typographic contrast and stress
- The tension between maths (rational) and magic (intuition) in design
- A new FreshBet Feature profiling experimental and expressive letterforms
- TypePorn showcasing featured fonts, and foundries.
With the decision to shine more of a spotlight on the great work and thinking of our community (and keep the document under 249 gms) the format of the journal has evolved from the first two. One of the features that has been removed (in print) was the glossary which I still felt was crucially important to the journal. So I have taken the opportunity to start developing more online content to accompany the print format.
As well as launching volume 03 today I have also made live the first draft of TypographGlossary. I will be expanding the content of the glossary regularly (not just when I release future print volumes). And it is my intention to revitalize the TypographHer website in coming months to create a better (more interactive) platform for knowledge exchange.